Building measures

 
2005/06:   Safeguarding measures I
2007:   Safeguarding measures II
2008:   Restoration of the sandstone floor in the entrance hall
2008:   Restoration of the sandstone figure "Strength"
2008/09:   Safeguarding measures IV
2009:   Ground floor toilets
2009/10:   Safeguarding measures V
2010:   Vault renovation in the Corps de Logis
2010/11:   Safeguarding measures III, Phase 1
2011/12:   Safeguarding measures III, Phase 2
2012:   Plastering the entrance hall
2013:   Safeguarding measures III, Phase 3
2013/14:   Safeguarding measures VI, Phase 3
2013/14:   Covering the balconies
2014:   Sandstone railings in the main staircase
2015:   Renovation of the roof above the central projection
2016:   Safeguarding measures VI, Phase 4
 



Safeguarding measures I
25th October 2005 to 27th January 2006


 
Scaffolding at the front of the east wing
Scaffolding at the front
of the east wing
Roof work
Roof work
 
Ceiling supports
Ceiling supports
 
Supports in the main entrance hall
Supports in the main
entrance hall
Ceiling pouring
Ceiling pouring
 
 

60 years after the destruction of the castle and 50 years after the previous major building work, the safeguarding measures began at last. It is really astonishing that the substance of the building has survived so well in spite of permanent rain water penetration and extensive vandalism. Many precious details have of course been lost, however the stonework can still be preserved through suitable protective measures. The work of securing the building will continue to progress step by step from year to year.

In a relatively short time the Trust Fund reached a decisive target stage when the official start of the safeguarding measures began on the 25th October 2005. This restoration work was only possible with the help of the state Saxony-Anhalt. There were many hurdles to be overcome and a lot of patience was needed before this work commenced. Repairs were started firstly with the particularly sensitive roofing. The emergency roof from 1954/1955 was decked with a new covering and was fitted out with new drains and water pipes.

As a second part of the rebuilding efforts, it was found necessary to install new ceilings - two of them in the area of the middle risalit were of great width. During the building of the ceiling more than 1,000 “Cobiax” spheres were imbedded in the concrete as a technical novelty in order to minimise the weight. The ceilings secure the middle part structurally and open up the stairway once again. A smaller ceiling was installed above the ground floor at the entrance area on the courtyard side. With these safeguarding measures, the history of the castle is being written once more.


Back to the overview

 


Safeguarding measures II
10th January 2007 to 23th March 2007


 
Scaffolding  East wing
Scaffolding East wing
Safeguarding measures
Safeguarding measures
Ceiling supports
Ceiling supports
Steel reinforcement
Steel reinforcement
Ceiling 1. First floor
Ceiling 1. First floor
 

One year after the successful completion of the first comprehensive renovation, the second phase of the safeguarding measures began. In this way the desired continuity was achieved. The implementation of the planned rebuilding work was enabled only through the financial support obtained from the state Saxony-Anhalt, from the Saxony-Anhalt lottery commission and from the town Zerbst/Anhalt.

Based on the first safeguarding measures, it was now technically feasible to install further ceilings in the east wing of the castle. In total, ten ceilings were installed north of the middle risalit between the ground and first floors and the second and top floors respectively. In this area the work was particularly urgent since there was no protective emergency roofing in situ. Rain and melting snow water used to collect in the area of the ground floor and was continually seeping through down into the lower basement.

On the other hand, in order to minimise the load "Cobiax" hollow plastic spheres were installed in four of the larger steel reinforced concrete ceilings. The fitting of tension rods between the outer walls and the new ceilings provides the necessary stability to this part of the building. The next building task will consist of the installation of more steel reinforced concrete ceilings south of the middle risalit. On completion of this work, the structural conditions will be in place to allow us to consider either covering the cornice or installing a new roof.


Back to the overview

 


Restoration of the sandstone floor in the entrance hall
7th July 2008 to 28th August 2008


 
Removal of the sandstone slabs
Removal of the sandstone slabs
Hall without sandstone slabs
Hall without sandstone slabs
Newly laid sandstone slabs
Newly laid sandstone slabs
New windows
New windows
Restored sandstone floor
Restored sandstone floor
 

The entrance hall of the castle lies on the ground floor of the east-wing middle risalit and serves as the main meeting place of the Zerbst castle Trust-Fund. Through the massive destruction in 1945 and the vandalism which came later the sandstone floor was considerably damaged. The many missing pieces were a source of danger to the users and made it much more difficult to organise events.

A firm of stonemasons took over the restoration of the sandstone floor. The work was carried out carefully and in accordance with best conservation practice in order to preserve the historical character of the floor. The sandstone slabs which could still be repaired were reutilised. A large number of slabs had to be rounded off with suitably old material from the cellar of the castle.

The entire floor slab surface was taken up, sorted and carried off to the stonemason's workshop. The slabs, some of which were 30cm thick, were cleaned, cut to size and were respectively either shortened or expanded to fit in. A new floor foundation was laid afterwards in the hall. The laying out of the sandstone slabs with chalk grouting mortar followed according to plan. Simultaneously the hall was wired for electricity and two windows were installed in accordance with historical precedent. The restoration work was financed exclusively by donations.


Back to the overview

 


Restoration of the sandstone figure "Strength"
30th September 2008 to 3rd November 2008


 
Recovery of the figure
Recovery of the figure
Figure on display
Figure on display
Reconstructed face
Reconstructed face
Restored figure
Restored figure
"Strength" in profile
"Strength" in profile
 

In the centre of the first exhibition room one finds a sandstone figure - larger than life. Adorned with club and lion skin it represents the virtue "Strength". The statue once stood on the balcony of the east-wing middle risalit until it fell down at the beginning of the 1990s as a result of being vandalised and suffered grevious damage. The Zerbst castle Trust-Fund laboured with great difficulty to clean the 1.2 tonne heavy statue, which was recovered from the prince's stables. The task of installing the statue in the exhibition room in 2005 was carried out by a specialist firm.

Because of the fall from the balcony and the wanton destruction carried out by vandals, the sandstone figure had indeed suffered serious damage to the face, arms as well as other body and clothing parts. With the financial assistance of both the Sparkasse-Trust Anhalt-Zerbst as well as from donations, it was possible for the Zerbst castle Trust-Fund to partially restore the look of the statue back to it's original design.

Historical photographs and drawings formed the basis for the restoration of the figure, which was carved and completed in 1747 by the Franconian sculptor Brunner. The reconstruction of both the face and the arms proved to be particularly time consuming and costly. Now the figure "Strength" forms the visual focus in the first exhibition room and the attractiveness of the permanent exhibition has been once again enhanced.


Back to the overview

 


Safeguarding measures IV
10th November 2008 to 27th February 2009


 
Pumping concrete
Pumping concrete
Pouring concrete
Pouring concrete
Roof construction
Roof construction
Main cornice
Main cornice
Sheet roof installation
Sheet roof installation
 

In spite of our best efforts the financing of the "Safety measures III" was not able to be implemented in 2008. Instead it was possible to implement the "Safety measures IV" in the winter half year 2008/2009. The support of the state of Saxony-Anhalt and that of the Lotto-Toto Saxony-Anhalt as well as the district of Anhalt-Bitterfeld and the city of Zerbst/Anhalt made this possible. The Trust fund was required to and able to match these inputs out of its own resources. These matching contributions came from donations from visitors to the castle as well as from financial assistance from well wishers and supporters.

The completed work built upon the previous "Security measures II". All efforts were concentrated on the northern part of the east wing. The wall masonry of the second storey was restored to its original standard through the removal of an old cement covering and loose stone material. After this work was finished five new steel and concrete ceilings were installed above this storey. Cobiax spheres were once again installed to minimise the weight in both of the broad ceilings. In parallel with this work the main cornices on the town and yard sides were restored. These had been missing ever since 1945. They have a height of 70 centimetres and rise evenly above the wall masonry. The enormous cornices are heavily reinforced and are directly connected to the ceilings. A temporary slanting sheet iron roof concludes the work. The rain gutters and water spouts attached to the roof channels off rain as well as meltwater.

With the "Safety measures IV" the restoration work on Zerbst castle was steadily continued. Through these measures this part of the building has been stabilised and made weather proof. The original substance of this area of the castle, which dates back to the 18th century, was able to be preserved.


Back to the overview

 


Ground floor toilets
30. April 2009 to 19. August 2009


 
Windows
Windows
Drywall installation
Drywall installation
Sanitary installation
Sanitary installation
Wall Tiles
Wall Tiles
Toilet Doors
Toilet Doors
 

Appropriate sanitary facilities are a vital necessity when one wishes to organise top class events in the castle. In 2005 two small toilets were installed by the castle-association in the upper basement and these remain still in operation and cater for events in the adjacent wine bars.

The new toilet facility was erected on the ground floor of the castle. It is located next to the main hall, which serves as the main meeting place for the castle-association members. Thus direct access to the toilets is now possible without having to use the stairs.

As a precondition for the installation of the toilet facility, reinforced concrete slabs had first to be laid and this work was carried out under the "Protective work measures II" program in 2007. Thus, the room, which was helplessly exposed to the elements from above for the past 62 years, has once again obtained a new lease of life. A partition was erected in the room next door, so that seperate Ladies and Gents facilities could be installed.

The two new large windows, patterned after an historic design, allow plenty of light into the rooms and in the evening, an appropriate electric system takes care of the lighting. Both of the toilets are fronted by a corridor, which, like the entrance hall, has also a sandstone slab surface. Two plain doors with fanlights patterned after the windows, form the entrance to the Ladies and Gents toilets. Both the walls and floors were decorated with plain tiles and hand washing facilities were installed in the lobbies of the toilets, which were also erected using a drywall installation technique. In the Ladies room there are two toilet bowls and in the Gents room one toilet bowl and three urinals. The facility was financed exclusively out of funds from the castle-association and has been steadily in use since the "Evening in the castle" event in 2009.


Back to the overview

 


Safeguarding measures V
5th October 2009 to 14th January 2010


 
Shuttering
Shuttering
Cobiax globes
Cobiax globes
Steel mesh
Steel mesh
Concrete ceilings
Concrete ceilings
Door-lintel
Door-lintel
 

Just a few months after the completion of the "Safety Measures IV" program, it was once again possible for us to further pursue the ongoing task of preserving the baroque castle from decay. Once again the association was able to benefit from the generous support of the state of Saxony-Anhalt, the Lotto-Toto GmbH Saxony-Anhalt, the district of Anhalt-Zerbst and the city of Zerbst. The association was able to provide its own share to the task at hand out of contributed donations. We are extremely grateful for the support and donations received.

The "Safety Measures V" program was focused on the area between the middle risalit and pavilion.While the vaulted ceilings above the ground floor withstood the effects of the bombing in 1945, the wood- beamed ceilings, of the floors above, were totally destroyed. The ceilings between the 1st and 2nd floors, which were missing for more than 64 years, have now been fully restored. The five new reinforced concrete slabs provide the necessary stability in this section of the building once again. Just like in the northern part of the building, Cobiax-globes were incorporated in the ceilings of the two larger rooms in order to minimise the attendant load. Since the ceilings were installed, the rooms on the second floor have been given a new lease of life. They will serve as a working platform for removing the rotten ceilings above and will be rebuilt later with the inclusion of a temporary roof. Additionally, repairs were made to the rooms on the first and second floors. The walls, which were damaged by vandals were closed off and broken door-lintels were repaired.

The "Safety Measures V" program allowed the association to continue with its ongoing work in Zerbst castle. Some interesting pieces have been preserved in the rooms on the first floor, which once belonged to the apartment of Princess Johanna Elizabeth.The rooms have been refurbished and will be open to visitors at the beginning of the 2010 season.


Back to the overview

 


Vault renovation in the Corps de Logis
15th March 2010 to 12th July 2010


 
Debris clearance
Debris clearance
Sealing the vault
Sealing the vault
Concrete filling
Concrete filling
Vault with primer
Vault with primer
Reconstructed vault
Reconstructed vault
 

In spite of the massive destruction suffered in 1945 and the subsequent decades of dramatic material losses due to vandalism and weathering, two large vaults were preserved in the the main wing of the castle.The vaults, dating from around 1690, are located directly above each other and have a floor space of approximately 80 square metres each.

A temporary roof once protected the upper vault until it was demolished due to vandalism. Massive water-penetration not only severely damaged this vault but also bit by bit the lower vault too. In the end vegetation grew up all over the place and the roots of the shrubs and trees crept unhindered and unprotected into the joints and crevices of the vaults.The combination of these negative factors meant that the building bricks of the single layered vault became loose, broke off and fell down. In the severe winter of 2009/2010 a vault arch capping almost collapsed completely.There existed the real danger of the total loss of the upper vault by the strongly reduced vault suspension strength and also the probable risk of the loss of the lower vault by the accumulation of stray stones and rubble. Something had to be done urgently! Since no funding was available short-term, the board of directors of the association took the decision to fund the necessary reconstruction work both from their own resources and also from donations.

Before starting the actual construction work the vault had to be first propped up and supported and the damaged areas had to be completely shuttered. Thereafter the remains of the temporary roof were disposed of and tons of rubble removed. After the complete exposure of the brick walls, the missing bricks were replaced and the arch capping closed. Finally the concrete was poured and a level walkway was installed .To protect against future moisture ingress bitumen sheets were laid and drainage was installed. The two historic vaults have now been restored, are protected and are once again accessible.


Back to the overview

 


Safeguarding measures III, Phase 1
1th September 2010 to 18th February 2011


 
Ceiling demolition
Ceiling demolition
Ceiling casting
Ceiling casting
Staircase before
Staircase before
Staircase formwork
Staircase formwork
Staircase after
Staircase after
 

The implementation of the Protective Measures III program was originally planned for 2007/08 and included structural engineering measures to preserve the so called Pavilion, which lies in the south area of the east wing. Unfortunately, the proposed financial plan could not at first be implemented. After once more applying for financial support, it had to be taken into account, that it would not be possible to achieve all of the tasks at hand because of the limited amount of finance available. Thus, it was necessay to split up the implementation into several smaller steps.

An important focus of the first phase of the work was the removal of the ailing reinforced steel stone ceilings above the ground floor; these dating from the period 1954/55. The inferior quality of the former building material and the poor maintenance of the seals, meant that the temporary ceilings, with unsuitable reinforced concrete beams, were badly damaged and could not be repaired. In a similar fashion to the renewals already carried out, modern reinforced concrete slabs with tie rods were installed in the south area of the Pavilion above the ground floor. In addition, damaged door lintels and other wall openings were refurbished. Thus much of the baroque substance in this area was able to be preserved. After being destroyed in 1945, new historical room cubatures were subsequently able to be built and are now once again accessible.

Another fundamental point was the creation of a new staircase at the original location in the central south area of the Pavilion. The new reinforced concrete construction leads up from the top souterrain over the parterre and further up to the first floor and is so designed, that it meets all modern evacuation and fire protection requirements. The staircase opens up not only the upper rooms, but also serves as a "working stairway" for further construction endeavours and helps to relieve the main sandstone staircase.

The first phase of the Protective Measures III program was sponsored by the state of Saxony-Anhalt, the Lotto-Toto GmbH Saxony-Anhalt, the district of Anhalt-Bitterfeld and the city of Zerbst / Anhalt. The necessary monetary input of the association came from donations. Our most heartfelt thanks goes out to all our sponsors and supporters.


Back to the overview

 


Safeguarding measures III, Phase 2
8th August 2011 to 27th January 2012


 
Scaffolding
Scaffolding
Views
Views
Ceiling casting
Ceiling casting
Formwork stairs
Formwork stairs
Construction crane
Construction crane
 

The fulfillment of this protective measure was made possible mainly due to the financial support of Saxony-Anhalt, the Lotto-Toto GmbH Saxony-Anhalt, the district Anhalt-Bitterfeld and the town of Zerbst/Anhalt. The necessary matching financial contribution of the association was raised from donations. We most heartily thank everyone, who was involved in this effort.

Further structural work has been carried out in the preservation of the so-called pavilion, in the southern area of the East Wing. At first three of the no longer viable and dilapidated ceilings above the ground floor and the first floor, had to be removed as well as two provisional and equally desolate supporting walls. In addition, two unsuitable, makeshift, retaining steel-concrete girders were dismantled. All items disposed of were from the period 1954/55. They were substantially damaged due to weather exposure, were threatened by collapse and were no longer repairable.

Just like the already implemented protective measures, three modern steel-reinforced concrete slabs with tie-rods were installed in the pavilion above the ground and the first floor. In addition, a new, non-visible joist had to be integrated as a result of the partially weakened walls. Some defects in the rising walls were also repaired.

The staircase construction in the middle of the southern-area of the pavilion, which was started during the first building phase, was now extended from the first to the second floor. The new steel-reinforced concrete staircase, with solid bannisters, now conforms to the current "escape route and fire safety regulations". The staircase allows access to the rooms on the individual floors, and now functions as a practical gangway for all further building work.

With the second phase of the protective measure III, whose content basically followed the previous protective measures, another area of Zerbst Castle could be saved from total loss. In addition, the newly acquired rooms were integrated into the showroom area of the Association.


Back to the overview

 


Plastering the entrance hall
16th April 2012 to 31 May 2012


 
Debris in the hall
Debris in the hall
First tours
First tours
Window wall
Window wall
Stairwell wall
Stairwell wall
Room with chandeliers
Room with chandeliers
 

The entrance hall on the ground floor of the castle occupies the entire width of the central projection and originally formed the main entrance to the east wing. Its simple, classical character was intentionally willed and this allowed for an ever increasing amount of ornamentation right upto the main room of the tract on the first floor, the audience room. The entrance hall was almost completely destroyed by the fire in the castle in 1945.

The Zerbst castle association intends to gradually restore the hall to its prewar condition. After the installation of a steel concrete ceiling, the fitting out of windows and provisional doors as well as the laying out of the new sandstone floor , it now serves as the main event room in the castle.

The walls, which had suffered the most damage through both the loss of plaster and through being severely smeared with graffiti, were then newly replastered by hand in a traditional manner.The remaining historic plaster surfaces were retained and duly integrated. It was thus considered to be necessary, that the new plaster coating should have a minimum thickness of at least four centimeters. Missing stucco decorations were highlighted by roughened areas. After the completion of this work, the symmetrical wall structure, with some double Doric pilasters, came once more back into prominence. Two crystal chandeliers lend the room a decidedly festive character. The financing of the renovation work was made possible exclusively through donations.


Back to the overview

 


Safeguarding measures III, Phase 3
7 January 2013 to 5 June 2013


 
Roof demolition
Roof demolition
Wall demolition
Wall demolition
Building scaffolding
Building scaffolding
Perspective
Perspective
Winter break
Winter break
 

The completed third phase of the Safeguarding-Measures III construction included some more structural work to preserve the remaining substance of the building in the south area of the east wing, the so called pavilion.

The work began with the demolition of three decrepit and unstable steel stone ceilings dating from the years 1954/55. These were situated both above the parterre and also on the first and second floors in the pavilion side of the courtyard. The dismantling of three non-original reinforced concrete girders, upon which the ceilings were supported, was carried out in parallel. Additionally two provisional and likewise fully desolate retaining walls on the upper floors needed to be removed.

Similar to the already completed Safeguarding-Measures, two modern reinforced concrete ceilings with tie rods were installed both in the pavilion above the ground floor as well as on the first floor. Damage and defects due to moisture and rising damp in the brickwork were respectively removed or repaired. The exposed wall-coping was given a concrete cover to protect it. Thanks to this work more of the original baroque substance was able to be preserved in this area of the castle.

The implementation of these Safeguarding-Measures was made possible only with the support of various sponsors, viz the Federal Republic of Germany (Listed Buildings Special Program), the German Foundation for Monument Protection, of Saxony-Anhalt, the Lotto-Toto GmbH Saxony-Anhalt, the district of Anhalt-Bitterfeld and the city of Zerbst/Anhalt. A most grateful and heartfelt thanks to all our supporters.

In the third construction phase of the Safeguarding-Measure III, which followed the previous measures as regards content, another part of the Zerbst castle structure was able to be saved from total loss. Furthermore with the restoration of the original cubature of the audience chamber a new space was gained, which was now able to be integrated into the events area of the association.


Back to the overview

 


Safeguarding measures VI, Phase 3
23 September 2013 to 30 October 2014


 
Exposed vault
Exposed vault
Formwork vault
Formwork vault
Relieving arch
Relieving arch
Rafters
Rafters
Cast stairs
Cast stairs
 

Due to its complexity, the precautionary measure VI was technically divided into three seperate phases of construction planning. Both the provided funding and own capital as well as conditions locally made it possible to realise the third phase of construction as the first one. The work of this construction phase was concentrated on the western part of the Corps de Logis.

The main focus of attention was the installation of a new, modern stairs instead of the original wooden staircase which was completely lost in 1945. In the basement area the original structures were reconstructed. The upper areas were outfitted with reinforced concrete and covered with galvanised railings. The staircase provided the connection between the basement and the upper floors.

The historic vaults were damaged by the continuous weathering and were also partially destroyed by vandalism. They were reparted within the framework of the construction project and were stabilised with reinforced concrete. Two smaller reinforced concrete ceilings were installed on the second floor instead of the timber beamed ceilings which went lost in 1945.

The massivley damaged mural crown had to be partly demolished and newly rebuilt. Larger defects caused by the bombing attacks were repaired. Afterwards a roof with wooden structures and a metal cover was temporarily installed. In addition the roof was also fitted out with a suitable drainage system.

The work was carried out in constant consultation with the conservation authorities. Financial support was provided by the German Foundation for Monument Protection, the district of Anhalt-Bitterfeld and the city of Zerbst/Anhalt. The Zerbst Castle Foundation e. V. would like to thank all of the sponsors most heartily. With the third section of the security measure VI, the western part of the Corps de Logis was able to be preserved from further deterioration.


Back to the overview

 


Covering the balconies
21 November 2013 to 4 April 2014 (with pauses)


 
Work scaffolding
Work scaffolding
Substructure
Substructure
Sheet metal cover
Sheet metal cover
Installation work
Installation work
Final state
Final state
 

The two balconies in the middle and the south risalit on the courtyard side of the castle were severely damaged due to the effects of the war, the subsequent material removal and the vandalism of recent times. Water flowed unhindered into the sandstone and the surrounding masonry. In the meantime significant moisture damage has also appeared in the rooms immediately behind the balconies.

In order to protect the two balconies from further weathering and the re-entry of moisture into the masonry, it was necessary to cover them. By means of wooden structures, uniform, obliquely inclined surfaces were fitted onto the unevenly high balcony areas, to ensure optimum water drainage. Then the plates were topped off with sheet metal covers.

From now on the moisture can run off in a controlled manner and made not do any harm to the balconies and the adjacent masonry. The project was funded entirely by donations.


Back to the overview

 


Sandstone railings in the main staircase
1 to 14 September 2014


 
Before treatment
Before treatment
Sandstone docks
Sandstone docks
Handrail
Handrail
Dock installation
Dock installation
Final state
Final state
 

Two elegant sandstone balustrades once adorned the lower part of the main staircase between the entrance hall and the first stairhead. The docking and handrails were fashioned by the sculptor Gottfried Reinicke from Danzig in the years 1748/49.

The railings were only slightly damaged in the destruction of the castle in 1945. However, due to vandalism they were lost in the 1990s. As part of a castle site clearance around 1998, the remaining sandstone elements were disposed of.

Two surviving remnants, some fragments in the walls and impressions in plaster as well as an historical photo formed the basis for the reconstruction of sandstone railing within the framework of the the stone meeting which was held in 2014 in Zerbst castle.

Numerous travelling journeymen from Germany and other European countries recreated the docking and handrails from templates of traditional handicraft. Afterwards the new elements were installed in the stairwell.

Thanks to the hard-working, voluntary efforts of the journeymen, the lower landing has now has been restored almost back to its former beauty. Both the acquisition of the sandstone and the taking care of the journeymen were funded by donations.


Back to the overview

 


Renovation of the roof above the central projection
26 to 29 May 2015


 
Damp wall
Damp wall
Crane
Crane
Bitumen sheeting
Bitumen sheeting
New covering
New covering
Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz
Promotion
 

At the top end of the central projection of the east wing, massive moisture damage had been occuring for a long time. The hollow block ceiling, the final finish from the emergency stabilisation measures carried out during 1954/55, could not yet be replaced. In 2005 the work, which was done in covering over the ceiling, now showed up numerous defects. This showed up both as various drip points and also as significant moisture on the north wall.

At last with the completion of the roof renovation, the underlying dampness which was harming the historic castle substance, could now be remedied. First the roof was cleaned, thereafter it received a bituminous primer. Finally it was sealed with slated sheeting. The adjoining roof areas as well as the outer edge-connectors and the upturned edges were also sealed. In addition, the drains were either cleaned and re-connected or they were isolated at the edges.

The Board of the Foundation Schloss Zerbst e. V. is grateful for the support of the German Foundation for Monument Protection. This work was carried out accompanied by the conservation authorities. With these renovation measures now in place, the central projection of the east wing was able to be saved from further moisture damage.


Back to the overview

 


Safeguarding measures VI, Phase 4
17 May 2016 to 21 December 2016


 
Scaffolds and crane
Scaffolds and crane
Roof casings
Roof casings
Final roof ceiling
Final roof ceiling
Roof & Platform
Roof & Platform
Pavillon
Pavillon
 

The fourth construction phase of the safety measure III followed the three preceding phases and it was focused on the southern area of the east wing, the so-called pavillion. The purpose of this construction was to enable further refurbishing measures to preserve the substance in this area of the building. The financing for this goal was provided by the German government and the state of Saxony-Anhalt from the Federal urban redevelopment programme "Stadtumbau Ost", as well as by self funding.

The five-by-five window axes extension of the pavillion was covered with a final ceiling above the second floor. For this reason, it was necessary to seal off any damage to the wall masonry caused by weathering and athmospheric effects. In addition, the outer and inner walls were restored to their original height and ceiling supports were also built. Subsequently, the new reinforced concrete ceilings were installed. The massive overhanging main cornices, which were completely lost in 1945, required a direct connection with the ceilings by virtue of their thickness. Following this the roof framework for the simple protective roof was installed. The cover was made using trapezoidal sheets which are resistant to both weathering and aging. An installed drainage system is used to drain both rain and melting water. Above the roof a platform was created, which gives visitors an impressive overview of the castle and the city. The staircase was extended fromthe second floor both to the roof level and to the exit. The top floor received temporary windows.

The work of the fourth construction phase of the safety measure III has stabilised the masonry and restored its structural integrity, in addition the baroque substance was preserved by a protective roof, and access to and use of the historical rooms was enabled.The lookout platform now functions as an extra tourist attraction.


Back to the overview